May 18, 2011

The Dirty Girl's Wallet...er...Billfold

Weeks ago I mentioned doing a tutorial for what I called The Dirty Girl's Wallet, and as I promised, I finally deliver it to you. If you follow me Twitter, you would probably know that I mentioned doing a video tutorial. Oh. My. Gawd! It was an EPIC fail! I'm almost tempted to post bloopers, but I don't know how to bleep out curse words. So instead of a nifty video, I have pictures and very simple (hopefully coherent) instructions.


What you'll need:
1 6.5"x4.5" piece of felt (this size will fit about 25 biz cards and some cash)
A Sewing Machine
Coordinating fabric
Coordinating thread
Snaps or Velcro
Your choice of embellishments

Instructions:

Step One- cut a piece of 6.5"x4.5" felt



Step Two- Take your coordinating fabric, and line it down the middle
(or however you choose really)


I used black and houndstooth fabrics, cut to show some red beneath

Step Three- Sew those pieces onto the felt using a straight stitch.
(I didn't take a picture of this step, sorry!)
Step Four- Add your closures  to each end of your fabric. Make sure they line up first! I don't believe in measuring, so I got a stack of biz cards and pulled the bottom half of the fabric until the cards were invisible. This established the pocket size I wanted. See where the bottom is much larger than the top? Y'all can modify this based on taste! I wanted a small flap and a deep pocket.


Leave roughly 1/4" of space between the tops of the fabrics and the closures


Step Five- Sew around the wallet from the bottom left to the bottom right. I used a zig-zag stitch and left a 1/4" allowance. 


Imperfect, but cute! (Y'all try not to have wonky stitches like mine)

Finish by adding any type of embellishment that tickles your fancy. I obviously decided to use a bow.

If I've explained this project well enough, it should take you about 5 Lady Gaga songs to make these wallets. Why is this wallet so dirty? Well you'll have something really adorable in 15-20 minutes and no one has to know! Hmm...maybe it should be The Dirty Little Secret Wallet. Oh well! If y'all have any questions or run into any problems, comment below and be sure to leave an email address so that I can answer you!

Good Luck!

4 comments:

  1. So adorable! I love the color combo that you used! Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think I would like to see bloopers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha,
    Those are beautiful!
    I am having a ALOHA Sweet blog giveaway please check it out.
    http://karezmakreations.blogspot.com/
    Rez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wallet and your sense of humor!!! :)

    ReplyDelete