August 23, 2011

DIY Leave In Conditioner

When I decided to let my hair grow out curly, I wasn't prepared for the expense of products marketed for curly hair. After spending too much money on leave-ins that did nothing for my hair but leave it dry, I called my mom to the rescue. Because moms know everything...don't tell her I said that. After using my conditioner, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Conditioner, my hair always felt healthy and was easy to detangle. I just wanted to have a leave-in so that the curls could stay moisturized through the day, so my country Southern momma told me to do this:

Get a spray bottle, add 1/4 cup of conditioner (one that works well and smells nice) and at least 1 cup of water. Hot water will make it mix easier. I have ethnic hair, so I add a mix of jojoba and olive oil for extra moisture. This works like a charm! You will want to experiment with the conditioner to water ratio to suit the needs of your hair.

I will say that I have found a store brand leave-in conditioner that works really well for my hair type, its called Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Do you have a favorite hair product? I'm kind of a product junkie, so I'd love to try some of your favorites!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm really interested in home-made beauty products. I'd like to try a mask that I found on pinterest. Fun stuff. Also, I love naturally curly hair. Grow it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool advise! My hair are kind of curly too and I also use olive oil masks (just cover the tips with olive oil and then wrap a towel around them and leave it for an hour before washing - every 2 weeks). It does wonders for dry hair! You can do the same with almond oil! Kisses :)
    (long time no see - but hey, it's still August!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some KC Knot Today! On the low, Suave Almond and Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner is also a favorite. I'll admit that I was skeptical after seeing it was less than $2 a bottle, but it is WAY better than products I've paid a pretty penny for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say this buuuut...I don't put any product on my hair. I mean, I use shampoo and normal conditioner when I shower, but that's it. And no, I don't have magically perfect hair (so you don't have to hate me), it's just that I've never found a product that worked for me. They all either leave my hair too oily or crunchy or just plain gross - even if I just use a teeeny tiiiny amount. So I just decided that, for me, frizz isn't that bad and I can live with it. =)

    ReplyDelete