November 17, 2011

Inspiration Workshop: Thanksgiving

Since I've been married, I have learned to compromise and split holidays between my family and Mike's (if we don't have a 2 person meal). When we first got engaged, I insisted on spending the holidays with my family. Period. End of discussion. We were living in the same city as his parents, so I thought that the only "fair thing" to do was to pack it up and go see my family. I was selfish. I didn't think about his mom's feelings at all. I was stuck on what "we" always did in Conway. There was a lot of "well, MY mom does xyz. Does YOUR mom?" *shame face*

My mom (thank God) is a sensible, caring woman so she called me a few weeks before Easter of 2009 for a "come to Jesus" meeting. She told me that she was happy that I wanted to take her feelings into account, but I needed to work more on bonding with my new family. And that included Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter dinners. You can't continue traditions or make new ones if no one is around. I'm not going to say this is a seamless process but we're working on it.


I love this cute, printable poster!


Chic flowers made from paper bags! Yes...paper bags.

We're spending Thanksgiving Day at my mother-in-law's house this year, so that means we'll be singing karaoke.

Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop!
Does your family have a fun tradition or would you like to start a new one?


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of splitting holidays. I'm sure your hubby will be happy to spend it with his parents. Have fun with the singing! Thanks for droppin by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to work more on bonding with my husbands family. hope you have fun this thanksgiving with your in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the blending of families is difficult! It's so hard to let go of lovable traditions - I know I haven't always done the best with it either! :/ Does your mom take appointments for "come to Jesus" meetings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm learning to that it is all about compromise. I'm very much dedicated to my family and how we do things - now that we're blended, I'm having to change my mind set some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you guys were able to compromise...fortunately it's too expensive to see my family all the time so we spend it with the hubby's! It works by default!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you have an understanding family like that! What a blessing!! I have a hard time not spending holidays with "my" family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having two families is better than one, right?? I'm glad you're doing ok dear! Just stopping by to say "Hello"! Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete