January 27, 2012

In The Kitchen with Earl

The Boy and some of his buddies planned a trip to go camping this weekend. With all of the talk of sleeping outdoors and equipment, my mind got stuck on hot chocolate. I don't why I associate camping with hot chocolate. Is it because the drink is kinda like liquid s'mores? Before I digress too much, I did what any modern girl with a hankering for something would do...I searched Pinterest. I found the most mouthwatering adult hot chocolate ever!!!



I promise you, this hot chocolate tastes even better than it looks! The Boy and I were supposed to take pictures, but we kinda got into the drinks. There was a lot of wide eyed "mmm, mmm" going on.

I'm now obsessed with Jessica's blog, How Sweet It Is, she has some yum-tastic recipes. She even has a recipe for beer marshmallows! That's just crazy awesome.

Grown Up Hot Chocolate
We only made a few changes to her recipe. 
serves about 6
3 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups cream or half and half (we used half and half)
1/3 cup cocoa powder (we used Nestle Toll House)
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (the store was out of the bars so we used chocolate chips. same thing, right?)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
4-6 ounces of marshmallow vodka (we used mocha flavored Bailey's)
In a large bowl, mix together cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add milk and cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring every few minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the milk to the cocoa and sugar, mixing thoroughly to create a paste. Once the entire thing is wet, use a spatula to add it to the milk and turn the heat down to low. Whisk continuously until smooth (do not let it boil), then whisk in chopped chocolate and vanilla extract.
Remove from heat and whisk in alcohol. Top with marshmallows.
Just so you know, this stuff is RICH. Like, I was up couponing after midnight because we were drinking this until ten at night...rich. 
Happy Friday!!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. i dont think its possible for that to taste better than it looks
    just found your blog from hollies link up and i'm your newest follower - and i'd lOvE for you to follow me back :)
    -elisabeth
    http://lavitaebella-elisabeth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hot chocolate, umm Beer marshmallows that sounds amazing.

    New to your blog, and excited to follow along.
    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, I want to try this!!!! Camping always makes me crave coffee in the morning. Maybe I'l make it Irish haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT hot chocolate taste better than it looks? really!!! wow, then it must be really really really really good!

    i am a new follower too!
    yay for bloggy friends!
    love,
    jessica
    www.morrisonlane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm-o! this sounds like something I could get into! once it finally gets hot chocolate weather in Texas, me and the mister will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you through FF! Excited to start following! I think we are destined to be blog friends! You had me at crafting & thrifting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...this looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try this! : )

    ReplyDelete