March 25, 2012

Sew Easy Sunday: 20 Minute Pillowcase

I get bored easily and unfortunately... The Boy and I are not rich. This means I have to get creative when I get the I want to redecorate blues. Have y'all noticed how expensive bedding is?! All for a little bit of cotton and some thread. Its ridiculous! Today we're going to learn how to make our own pillowcases. We'll get into the rest of the bedding week by week. 

We're going to cheat. You could either do a lot of cutting and pressing or you can do it my way. But since you're still reading, I'm assuming my way is your chosen path. Excellent!

Step One:
Fold your fabric in half lengthwise, right sides facing.

Step Two:
Make sure your fabric measures 35"x17". You may have to trim some fabric from the width to make it 17".

Step Three:
Sew the bottom and the opened side closed. Turn the pillow case right side out.
The opened end will still be rough, don't worry we're about to fix that.

Iron the edge where my fingertips are.

Step Four:
Please note that my pins are at the 5 inch mark, this is where you will top stitch. Be sure to hold the fabric so that you don't sew the pillowcase shut. ;)
 And...you're done! You can add decorative trim, a monogram or anything you'd like to personalize your pillowcase.

If you have any questions shoot me an email at earlleighdesigns@gmail.com or leave a comment below.

Happy Sunday!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I have redecorating blues too- I can't wait to see your other tutorials! Well done!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of DIY...cute and quick! Love the fabric:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea!! I hate how expensive bedding is!! It's freaking riDONculous!!! I wonder if I can work out how to make my own fitted sheet?? Can't be that hard... tho the elastic bottom will be the part that gets me...

    We have a super thick mattress, then a mattress topper, so sheets don't actually fit properly.. and I mighta even torn a hole in one of em once when I was wrenching on it... oops!

    If you come across anything, lemme know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your simplified method. Your's truly is a 20 minute version. Our quilt guild donates the pillow cases to our local women's shelter. When we first started I thought it was a lame idea, but have found out they're a big hit with the kids, some of whom have never seen a pillow case let alone owned their very own. When the Mom's move out they get to keep them.

    ReplyDelete