March 4, 2012

Sew Easy Sunday: Back to Basics

This "Sew Easy Sunday" is going to be a little different. I want to share with y'all a blog that I turned to when I started sewing again. My mom taught me how sew from an early age because Mattel couldn't make Barbie dresses fast enough for me. One day my mom suggested making dresses, and that turned into outfits (with pants...first pair were a fail) and eventually we started making Earl sized tote bags and skirts. Barbie couldn't have all of the fun. Ha!

My mom gave me a sewing machine a few years so that I could get back into it. I was so nervous! She wanted me to use a sewing machine without her guidance?! I had visions of me breaking the dang thing and it took weeks for me to take it out of the box. Seriously. But I did it and realized something along the way...the internet is a wonderful thing. Books are great, but sometimes you need to know something "right now". That's why I love blogs, someone always has an answer.

Disney, of the blog Ruffles and Stuff, has a great "Sew Basic" series that covers everything from winding your bobbin to making ruffles. I found it to be invaluable. She seriously opened my world because I didn't know you could shirr your own fabric. Yup, I was wearing the dunce cap over that. I just thought that if the fabric wasn't shirred when you bought it, you wouldn't have shirred material. Go poke around on her blog a bit if you have time!


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I feel you on the whole "internet is amazing" thing - it has taught me a lot about sewing! My mum's been teaching me off and on but she is pretty perfectionist in some ways, so one thing I've loved is finding other people who also take shortcuts and "sewing hacks" just to get something DONE rather than get too hung up on it! But I also love to learn the "right way" and have all those great skills - I've never done ruffles so I'm looking forward to trying that out! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that site! I'm excited to check it out! Aren't moms great? My mom gave me my sewing machine and encourages me to create stuff all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was a self taught seamstress, with 6 daughters she learned out of necessity lol. She taught me the basics and when I had my girls I learned even more. Mom however did not like sewing those tiny Barbie clothes lol, but she did it for us. Moms are the best right?

    ReplyDelete