October 6, 2014

Cheating & Birthday Celebrations

The past week and a half has been a little rocky. The car died three times. Three. Mike and I were planning to head to Asheville this past weekend to celebrate his birthday but mechanics pretty much gobbled up those funds. While we didn't get to have the romantic weekend away we wanted, we had a great time locally.

Cake

Mike dropped Harper off at daycare bright and early, Friday morning before he went to the gym. I got to sleep in. By sleep-in, I mean I watched Netflix ALONE. Total remote control! My dear husband was supposed to call me on his way home from the gym so that I could shower and start getting ready. Two minutes before he walked in the door I got the phone call. Men.

After we got dressed, we went to one of our favorite places to brunch. Cafe Strudel. They have the BEST breakfast food in town and customer service is always on point. We were both starving so I don't have pictures of my fluffy cinnamon pancakes. I know, I know! Bad blogger.

We then went to the museum to walk off some of the calories and he's an artist so that worked. I tried getting pictures for y'all but Mr. Artist said that I would look uncultured. Cue eye roll. There was a display of statue heads, not full busts, just heads. I thought it would be fun to hide my body behind the display and just have my head poked out. I wasn't going to touch anything! After an hour of him being a killjoy, we went to go watch Gone Girl.

OMG! That movie was intense. Harper's godmother brought the book for me to read when I was on bed rest in the hospital and I never finished it. Real talk, I only got to the second chapter because it freaked me out. I'm going to give the book another chance now.

The rest of our weekend was filled with food, "glorious food". I'm doing a mini bulk to build up muscle so that helps. Right?! Ha!

Mango Smoothie

This delicious mango smoothie (made by yours truly) was one of the few healthy choices we made. I love fall but sometimes I need to have a tropical drink. Mangoes are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. We all need fiber. ;)

Cheats on Cheats on Cheats via Earl-Leigh Designs

Harper, Elmo and I took Mike out for birthday ice cream. He got some chocolate peanut butter concoction while Harper and I split a "Pumpkin Pie In The Sky". It was the perfect amount of pumpkin, graham cracker and caramel. You could taste the pumpkin without it being too sweet. Some restaurants have been adding too many sweeteners to their pumpkin items this year. We then dropped Harper off at her grandma's house so that Mike and I could go out to dinner.

Cheats on Cheats on Cheats via Earl-Leigh Designs

In the battle between these two seasonal beers: I would declare my Red Hook Out of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter the winner. I have a post coming up this week with the yummy details. I'm doing all of this taste testing for y'all. How else would you know which drinks to serve this fall? You're welcome.

Cheats on Cheats on Cheats via Earl-Leigh Designs

Shrimp and grits. Nuff said. He got filet mignon with shrimp and mashed potatoes. It just looked like a hunk of meat in my opinion so I'm not posting that.

Do you celebrate birthdays the "healthy way" or do you go all out?

This post was fueled by Starbucks (duh), cinnamon waffles & post leg day struggles.

GIF
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Dear goodness gracious I would give my left tit for authentic shrimp and grits. sigh. Birthdays really depend on my mood and how I celebrate. I turn forty this year so I more focused on copious amounts of alcohol and not so much the food part ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Too funny Mary! I wasn't sure I read your comment right the first time.LOL!

      Delete
    2. LMAO!! I'm inviting myself to that party, Mary. Okay?! I'll bring some shrimp and grits.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty good day out! A day out is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN FUN FUN!! Glad you had a nice celebration. I will definitely indulge on my birthday. Whether it be dessert or something else. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOMS. You need to try O Fallon Pumpkin. IT IS THE BEST PUMPKIN BEER I HAVE EVER HAD. I definitely treat myself well on birthdays, but I don't go all out like i used to. I tend to do that on vacation :D PS the Harper and Elmo with arrow in that picture is freaking hilarious.
    And yes, all of this is necessary to bulk. Hello, milk has protein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Elmo goes everywhere. I have Mike on a mission to find this beer you speak of. I need to hire you as my accountability coach but I'm afraid that you'll hold me accountable. The struggle.

      Delete
  5. SO fun! Looks the perfect way to celebrate.. I eat like I normally would, but most deff have at LEAST 3 pieces of cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh!! Balance. I'll try that next time. Hehe!

      Delete
  6. Birthdays are for sure an all go out day!!!!
    Looks like you did it right!!!
    LOVED Gone Girl, the book - can't wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Birthdays and holidays get me every time. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Now I'm hungry! Sounds like he had a good time for his birthday so that's all that matters. And yes birthdays mean you can indulge in all the bad foods you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All we needed to complete the weekend was a haute cake by Kim!

      Delete
  8. Dag, sorry bout the car.... I refuse to see gone girl til I read the book but now u got me scared lol....aaaaaand now I want shrimp n grits. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I'm scared of that book but I'm going give it another chance. Ha! I'm sure that you will love it.

      Delete