December 2, 2014

Turkey, Trees and Weights

Hello fine people! Thanksgiving has come and gone with no additional inches to the waistband for me. Admittedly, I woke up on Thanksgiving morning with my throat on fire so food was of little interest to me. I had to apologize in advance to my husband because I couldn't really smell and I couldn't taste anything...both of those senses are crucial when you're cooking. Luckily, everything turned out wonderfully! Normally, my mother-in-law cooks a Caribbean Thanksgiving feast but I was tasked with hosting last minute. Because I grew up eating turkey and Southern fixings on Turkey Day, that's what we had at my house. I was able to find healthy versions of our favorite sides so that was a double win!

Turkey Carving Done Right

This is how we carve turkeys. Be afraid.

We put on a Christmas movie, poured apple cider and put the tree up after dinner! I still need to make the bow so a picture of the entire tree will come soon. I can't decide if I want to use the plaid fabric I made some of the ornaments from for the bow or if I want it to be a solid red.

Hello December

I went shopping around for heavier weights for home because I want to get ready for my upcoming break. I'll have about a week and a half off and the university's gym will be closed during that time so I need to add to my home gym. More hex dumbbells and an EZ curl bar are on my wishlist for Santa!

What was your favorite Thanksgiving memory (if you celebrate)?

This post was fueled by yogurt, hot cinnamon spice tea from Starbucks and Michael Buble.

You still have one more day to enter the $25 Starbucks gift card giveaway.

Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better. My son was sick on Thanksgiving so our plans to spend time with my husband's family changed. My mom cooked and I smoked a turkey and after that I was exhausted and we went to sleep. But overall it was a good day. Your turkey looks good and your tree as well. I love the homemade touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Poor little guy! I hate it when the babies are sick. I hope that he's feeling like himself now!

      I'm not surprised that y'all cooked up something good!

      Delete
  2. Lots of head stuff going around lately.. hope your throat is better.
    I enjoyed trying new Pinterest recipes & them turning out to be a success this Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that the text that you sent me last night means that you are firmly on your way better. Love the turkey hacking skillz. Now THAT is a man :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That poor turkey has been through some things. I just have some chest/nasal congestion left so I'm about 90% healed.

      Delete
  4. A Caribbean Thanksgiving feast sounds intriguing! Glad the food turned out even if you couldn't taste it. Kind of disappointing! My favorite part was that we all relaxed. Sometimes holidays can be stressful and busy. Our Thanksgiving was just the opposite this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful! We should all aim to take as much stress out of the holidays as possible.

      Delete
  5. I love this pic of your hubby! That is soo funny. I hope you are feeling better now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you! He promptly posted the picture to Instagram.

      Delete
  6. looks like you had a great thanksgiving! I had a small crowd this year wanted something small and so it was just me my hubby and my dad. it was great however I dropped a lid on my foot so now one of my toes is bruised and i dont see any pedicures in my future anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry you got hurt. I'm sure the lid was to something tasty so that kinda makes up for it? Kinda?

      Delete
  7. That's great that you were able to make some healthy sides! Sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My father-in-law is from Mississippi so when he heard about my roasted sweet potatoes, you would have thought I called him a four letter word. No candied yams...sorry!

      Delete
  8. Oh no! Sorry to hear you were under the weather for Thanksgiving. :( We hosted also and I sadly can say there were inches added to my waistband this year. BOO! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! How good was the food though?! YUM

      Delete
  9. Kudos for finding healthy recipes to traditional dishes and glad you are feeling better! I adore that picture of your husband! Made me giggle out loud.

    This was the first year in a while that I hosted and had to cook but I split it with friends and it was very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness I hope you are feeling better! We were at my mother in laws and she did all the cooking. It was great fun except for when my child slammed by hand in the car door and broke my fingers. Ouch! Atleast the pie was good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to my cousin's house. It was awesome not to have to host this year - it allowed me to enjoy it more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We traveled to Santa Fe for a family reunion, 92 of us! Memories were definitely made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, your hubs looks like he was having a little too much fun carving the turkey. But you should've had what I did to make your throat feel better - Spiked Caramel Apple Cider. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you're feeling better soon! That turkey carving pic is amazing - you should use it on your christmas cards :)

    ReplyDelete